Many of our products can preserve themselves naturally, but a couple of Ecover products do contain preservatives as well. At Ecover we use plant-based ingredients that are readily biodegradable. These ingredients tend to be more prone to bacterial growth which affects performance. We therefore need to use preservatives in our products to ensure the ingredients do not degrade. We mostly use natural preservatives, such as lactic acid, and nature identical products like sodium benzoate. We use a petrochemical based preservative called MIT/BIT in two products – our Ecover Stain Stick and Ecover Multi-Action Wipes. We always mention preservatives on the label, if it’s not on the label, it’s not in the product.
Articles in this section
- What ingredients are in your products?
- Are your products antibacterial?
- Does Ecover use SLS?
- What is polypropylene terephthalate?
- What are the benefits of using plant-based ingredients?
- Which plant-based materials does Ecover use?
- Are there optical brighteners in Ecover products?
- What sort of bleach is used in Ecover laundry products?
- What's the difference between bio and non-bio?
- Which preservatives are used in Ecover products?